Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cloth Diapers

Photobucket


I started buying new small and newborn size cloth diapers for the new baby today. I did not use them with my son, I actually did not know much about them. With my daughter I met a few people online who used them and got interested. I did tons of research and started buying some. I have used all types. Prefolds, Prefitteds, and Pockets: they first two require a cover the Pockets have a waterproof outer. I have found that I prefer prefitted and prefolds. I use my pockets as well, but use a prefold and then use the pocket as the cover.

There is so many different types out there it can be overwhelming if you are thinking of giving it a try. I just bought some different ones used off a great site diaperswappers and that way I did not spend the full amount if I decided I did not like them.

Coth diapers are really not that hard to use and not that gross. There have been so many great inventions is this area. One is the diaper sprayer, a cool gadget that hooks to your toilets water line and you just spray the poop into the toilet with out having to really handle it. I wash every few days. The cost of water and electricity to wash is minimal compared to the cost of diapers for 2-3 years. I have seen different quotes on the amount you can save. Most state between $1,200 and $1,800 a year. Especially if you end up using them for multiple kids you can save tons. Of course they are a thousand times better for the environment than disposables. I am not a total die hard "green" person, but like the idea that we are not creating as much waste as we could by using cloth.

If any of my readers would like to know more specifics please ask away, I will try to get information together for you. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i keep debating about cloth diapers, but it seems to late to get started. i would have to get them really cheap to maybe consider them, i should.

Dani said...

It is never to late, especially since I know you want a few more kids like me :)

Lyn said...

i wish i had all those options with my boy. all i had was square diaper cloths that i had to fold to fit. now i'm liking this idea...i may even try it someday.

Joseph and Jennifer Thornton said...

You are like the Ultimate efficient mom. Home schooling, cloth diapers, you are da bomb. Call me lazy, busy, or what have you, but I don't have the patients for all that! You go girl!!

Dani said...

Girl, that is too much praise. I promise it is a learning process everyday and sometimes I don't think I can do it. But thanks for the compliment!!