Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Santa and Christmas thoughts....

Photobucket

I have to vent just a little here. We do not and will not tell our children that Santa is real. We decided this long before we got married. Our kids will know that he is a part of the Christmas traditions, but is not real. They will know the gifts they receive are from us. Here comes the venting. Why does this matter to people. On a forum I post on, we were talking about Santa and I told them this. You would think that we were abusing our children. They went on and on about how they felt so bad for my children and sad for them and it was crazy not to let them believe in Santa. Thank God we do not base our parenting choices on peoples opinions.

One thing that irks me the most about Santa is how parents use him and the story of him to try and make kids behave. I hate hearing this statement: "If you are not good, Santa will not bring you anything this year". One it is a total lie on the parents part, because you know they are going to give the gifts anyway. Two, kids should behave because they are being obedient and it is the right thing to do, not because they might miss out on some present. Ok, vent over with.

Next I want to pass along a link to the history channel for videos they are doing on the origin of Christmas. There are a few different ones you can click on and watch, they are pretty interesting.

The History Channel Christmas series.

Just for those who have no clue, Christmas started as a pagan holiday that the church adapted to gain favor from converts. The puritans who came to America way back when would not celebrate this holiday for that very reason. Christmas did not come back into mainstream American until the 1840's and it was a totally secular holiday until the church adapted it again to get members involved.

I don't have a problem with celebrating the holiday, but I think Christians should know how the holiday begin and has evolved over time. I think we see a lot of good happen at this time and I think people should continue to give (of course not only at this time of year but all year). You also see alot of bad qualities and selfishness arise in people this time of year. For our family this is a secular holiday that never had anything to do with the birth of Christ. We use this time to give to those less fortunate and to those in our family, and of course to enjoy cookies and good eating.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Amen, amen, amen.. oh.. and Amen! ;)

I have the same every year around November, when st. Nicholas is 'in the country' again (we don't really do Santa in Holland, but st. Nick [december 5th] is more or less the same)

People in the grocery store will tell my daughter: "now, you be nice, because st. Nick sees everything!" or "st. Nick will bring you something nice this year!".. and she looks at me with the look "Can I yell out loud that st. Nick is a fake now?" (since I told her not to scream that when little kids are allowed)

But really.. it's the upside down world. THEY want to lie to their kids, and they get mad if someone else doesn't.. They will actually get mad when she tells them it's fake.. because she's telling the truth.. So I always back her up, by saying: "I didn't know it was wrong to tell the truth.. I thought it was lying that got people in trouble...."

sheesh.. ;)

greetings from the netherlands!

Elspeth said...

Here is MY main issue with Santa: Christians telling their kids that somewhere, out there, is an all knowing, all seeing, benevolent, mysterious Saint Nick (he sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake,he knows when you've been bead or good...)who gives good gifts to children all over the world in tandem some supernatural way on Christmas Eve.

Then we teach our children about God:

"O LORD, You have searched me and known me.You know my sitting down and my rising up;You understand my thought afar off.You comprehend my path and my lying down,And are acquainted with all my ways.For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether." (Psalm 139)

Don't the two sound eerily similar? And then when kids are 9 or 10, they are told that Santa isn't real. But God is? We celebrate Christmas, but the whole Santa thing is a big risk in my opinion. Too big a risk.

Dani said...

Terry, DH and I agree with you. That is part of our problem with Santa as well.

Ace said...

Hey Dani, this is the thing...Santa sounds like a god. They find out he is fake (though based on false gods, but I digress :) and then we tell them..."Oh, but the real God, the one that you also can't see who can see you and knows your heart...HE is real"

How confusing is that !

Plus, The General's grand dad said it best "I worked seven months of overtime (they were very poor) to buy those gifts...and they are THANKING santa!" LOLOLOL

Many Blessings :)
Ace

Emilie said...

We have the same problem! My husband and I are Christians, but the in-laws are not. Our decision not to encourage Santa almost tore the family apart - much tears and gnashing of teeth! We haven't seen my husband's brother since early December, and I think this is partly why...It sucks, but that the price you pay for sticking to what you believe in. There's room to compromise in almost anything, but our beliefs are something that we won't compromise.