Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fear of the Lord...

Photobucket


Since learning the way to find true contentment is to fear the Lord, I have been trying to learn all I can about having reverence for the Lord. So far I have learned that having fear of the Lord, only brings good and great things into your life. Here are a few scriptures about the subject.

Psalm 111:10--The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.

Proverbs 14:26-- He who fears the LORD has a secure fortress, and for his children it will be a refuge.

Isaiah 33:6-- He will be the sure foundation for your times, rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure.

Psalm 112:1-2-- Praise the LORD. Blessed is the man who fears the LORD, who finds great delight in his commands.2 His children will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.

Of course there are many more scriptures that speak of having the fear of the Lord. These above speak of gaining wisdom, security, foundation, salvation, knowledge, blessing, and multigenerational faithfulness when we truly learn how to FEAR the LORD.

I also looked up what fear of the Lord meant from Easton's Bible Dictonary:

is in the Old Testament used as a designation of true piety(reverence for God). It is a fear conjoined with love and hope, and is therefore not a slavish dread, but rather filial(befitting a son or daughter, having a relation of a child to a parent) reverence.

Lord, as your daughter I pray that you would show me how to fear and reverence you with all I am and in all I do.

1 comments:

Brazen Hussey's said...

As someone who's a first-gen Christian, I have had to learn about who God is, what He expects, how I am to change, etc., and most of these changes center around proper understanding of the first thing:

Who is God? Everything else falls in line with that. Meeting Christ and properly grasping Him brings you to a place where you understand this fear of the Lord.

One of the better books I've learned this from is reading John Calvin's first book of The Institutes of the Christian Religion. It's only 18 chapters, highly devotional.

Of course, on the more accessible level for someone in your shoes, I'd highly recommend R.C. Sproul's "The Holiness of God." This was revolutionary in my thinking at an early stage in my walk. It's all about the fear of the Lord.

Enjoy!
--JMH (James H)