Saturday, November 1, 2008

Prudence

I have recently learned the real meaning of this word.  Let me tell you, I really do want to become a PRUDE.  I never thought I would say that or want to relate myself to that term.  In my old understanding that is a "bad" word, someone who is a "stick in the mud" or no fun.  Well let me tell you what it means if you don't already know.


These are from Websters dictonary.

Prudence:  the ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason, sagacity or shrewdness in the management of affairs, skill and good judgment in the use of resources, caution or circumspection as to danger or risk.

Prude:  a woman who shows or affects extreme modesty

This one came from Eastons Bible dictonary.

Prudence:  Wisdom in the way of caution and provision; discretion; carefulness; hence, also, economy; frugality.

So being a Prude is a great thing.  

Proverbs 1:1-3--- The proverbs of Solomon, son of David, king of Israel:  for attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight; for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life, doing what is right and just and fair.

Provers 13:16-- Every prudent man acts out of knowledge, but a fool exposes his folly.

Proverbs 14:15-- A simple man believes anything,but a prudent man gives thought to his steps.

Proverbs 15:5--A fool spurns his father's discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.

Proverbs 19:14-- Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the LORD.

To sum it up to be prudent is to be wise.  That is something we all should want for ourselves. 

 




1 comments:

Rissa said...

Wow! This is a powerful post.
Thank you so much for shedding a new light on this sadly misunderstood word. Now I will remember those scriptures each time I hear the word "prude."
Grace and peace as you pursue prudence! :)