Monday, October 27, 2008

Book Review




















Since Boog turned 4 this summer I have been thinking I needed to learn more about vaccinations. It is time for his boosters. Boog was fully vaxed except for flu up until now. Baby girl got everything that they recommend except: Hep A, Rotovirus, Flu and Chicken Pox. I found this book very informative and not from either extreme. She is a doctor that has a Family practice for over 20 years, in Baton Rouge. She is not anti vax, but has concerns over the way they are made and how so many are given at once. She also shows concern for how they become government mandated after not having lots of research, the companies not having to continue research on safety and the government instituting laws that help protect the manufactures from lawsuits. She also goes into those who are "approving" the vaccines for use having a conflict of interest, because many times the people who are approving them have money to be made off of them.

Anyway, I am not extreme either way. Gus and I have decided to selectively vax, Boog and Baby Girl will not be getting any more any time soon. When we are blessed with more children we are going to be very selective in which vaccinations we choose and probably follow a differet time table than the one mandated by the government.

I have a few other vaccination books I am going to be reading. I want to gather as much information as I can on the subject.

1 comments:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

HELLO! Found you on CajunChick's place and thought I'd say HI!

I'm also wishy-washy on vaxes. I'd like my children covered, but not by injecting some of the stuff into their systems which can be so harmful. I'm thinking no rubella vax because they used real babies to make it. (aborted fetal cells).

Unfortunately, I can't find measles/mumps separate. I was fully vaccinated, but got the measles in college anyway. So it isn't like you get anywhere even remotely close to 100% protection, but then as a nurse you knew that.

Bless ya. I hope you are able to do well on your challenge and save money so you can stay home. I just hear that mommy heart through your posts. :]