Monday, October 13, 2008

The no eating out challenge....

Gus and I were talking about cutting the amount we eat out for some time. I have come up with the idea to do a 30 day challenge. I want to see if we can go 30 days with out spending to eat out. I know to change bad habits you have to form new ones. I added up this past months eating out when our bank statement came in and I was shocked. It was way more than I would have thought and that did not include the 9 days the kids and I were on vacation with my aunt. We are going to do this week by week. We think it will be more feasible with short term goals to get to the big one.
The biggest challenge will be when the kids and I are out doing errands around lunch time. We usually just swing by a fast food place and pick something up, so I will have to make sure we get to swing by the house or get everything done before lunch. We started on Saturday, so we can mark off the first 3 days.

By doing this, I hope it can be another way for me to show Gus that I can be responsible with our income and his hard work.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

It's always shocking to see the total on that bank statement. When you just spend a few bucks at a time it doesn't seem like much, but it sure adds up. Good for y'all.

Maybe you guys can come up with an idea for what to do with the money that you would have spent on takeout. Of course you'll increase your grocery budget first, but then maybe you could put it savings or use it to pay down a bill. That way you don't just spend it on something else. :-) I speak from experience. lol

Dani said...

I am hoping to start putting it in savings for a bigger vehicle or towards some of the debt we have left. It has been hard and we are only a week into it, but I am striving towards the goal.